James Ekiru Nateleng
Deputy Director sports
Principal Sports Officer
- MANDATE & FUNCTIONS
- DEPARTMENTAL ACHIEVEMENTS /ACTIVITIES FROM 2013 -TO-DATE
- To plan, formulate, review and give direction on sports and recreation matters in the county.
- To mobilize locals to participate in sports as a career through talent search, nurturing and development.
- To conduct training and research in sports.
- To prepare and facilitate teams to participate in local, Inter county/Regional and national events.
- To coordinate inter-Sectoral collaboration programs among stakeholders for sports development.
- To market sports as an industry.
- Preparing employees in the Department of Sports for the desired changes in working styles, attitudes and work ethics.
ACHIEVEMENTS OF SPORTS DEPARTMENT FROM 2013-TO DATE
- ACTIVITIES DONE FOR 2013/2014
- a) WARD SPORTS ACTIVITIES-these events were done in every ward (30)
- b) Athletics competitions/wheel chair races– the vent was done on 29th March 2014 in Lodwar and attracted several athletes from junior to senior categories. The wheel chair race was also conducted.
- ACTIVITIES FOR FY 2014/2015
- a) TRAINING OF COACHES/REFEREES – it was successfully done at Kawalase primary school from 26th November to 2nd Dec 2014 with collaboration with FKF. Eighteen (18) coaches/referees were trained.
- b) TURKANA COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP – The First County championship was organized at Lodwar from 18th to 20th April 2015. All the seven sub-counties we re represented in Football and volleyball disciplines. Football boys winners were Turkana west while volleyball boys was won by Turkana North and Girls volleyball was taken by Turkana Central.
- c) INTER–COUNTIES CHAMPIONSHIP – the county participated in the First Edition of KYISA (Kenya Youth Inter- Counties Sports Association) that was held in Laikipia county-Nanyuki from 24th to 2nd May 2015. The county took 3 teams (Football Boys, Volleyball Boys & Girls) of 48 players.
- ACTIVITIES FOR 2015/2016
- DESERT WHEEL CHAIR RACE– the 4th Edition took place in Isiolo on 22nd August 2015. The county supported five athletes and William Ekai became position two (2) after Baringo Athlete.
- BOXING– Supported Boxing competition between Rukia Nasirite &Tanzanian boxer 0n 20th October 2015. Nasirite won the fight.
Rukia Nasirite (right) with Tanzanian boxer before the fight at Nyayo stadium with Turkana county spectators & county sports Directors
- Supported Earthmovers FC during talent search event in Nakuru on September 2015.
- Augustines Basketball Club for a friendly match in Moroto-Uganda in December 2015
- Participated in KYISA games held in Kwale 29th to 6th December 2015. The county took three (3) teams (football boys, volleyball boys and girls) of 48 players. Turkana County did very well and managed to take position 3 in football boys out of 34 Counties which participated.
- Participated in North Rift Regional cross country championship held in Kapenguria on 6th February 2016.The County supported 14 athletes and 10 officials. Turkana got position 4 out of 5 counties.
- Supported an Athlete (Samuel Emoru) to participate in an international race in Malaysia- February 2016.
- TRAINING – Organized pre-level one (1) Athletics coaching training for wards and sub counties officials -75 were trained on 1st to 5th March 2016. After the training all trainees sat for exams and thereafter presented with certificates.
- Ward/Sub- Counties Athletics Championships– the competitions were done in every ward and thereafter in every Sub-county from April/ May 2016. The target were school going and out of school youth. The event was purposely to identify and nurture talents at the ward/sub-county levels.
- ACTIVITIES FOR FY 2016/2017
- DISABILTY SPORTS- DESERT WHEEL CHAIR RACE
The event took place on 3rd September 2016 in Isiolo County and our county was represented by 5 players. One of our own WILLIAM EKAI won the race out of 75 participants.
- b) ASSESSMENT OF SPORTS GROUNDS/TEAMS (PHASE ONE)
The Department did the activity from 22nd to 28th of September 2016. The objective was to ascertain the number of sports grounds used and unused as well as active and inactive clubs/teams in the areas assessed. This will inform the Department on future planning. It covered four sub-counties namely; Central, West, North and Kibish.
- KENPO KARATE TOURNAMENT
The activity took place in Nakuru County from 1st to 2nd October 2016. The County was represented by 14 players. The activity attracted Seven (7) Counties/Regions. Turkana County did very well and managed to take Position 3 out of 7.
d)EAST AND CENTRAL AFRICA BOXING CHAMPIONSHIP
The above event took place in homeland club in Nairobi where our Turkana female boxer RUKIA KAMAIS NASIRITE defeated boxer HUSNA ZAMBA from Tanzania in a light weight boxing title on 29/10/2016.
(e)KENPO KARATE TOURNAMENT
The activity took place in Mombasa County from 12/11/2016 to 13/11/2016. The county was represented by 20 players.
The activity attracted seven counties namely: Turkana, Mombasa, Kwale, Kilifi , Machakos ,Nairobi, and Nakuru. Turkana county took position one, Mombasa position two, Nakuru position three, and Nairobi took position four. Turkana County took one gold medal in advance category won by DAVID ERUPE, one bronze in ladies category by FATUMA AKAL.
(f)KENYA YOUTH INTER COUNTIES SPORTS CHAMPIONSHIPS IN SIAYA COUNTY 3RD EDITION.
The above event took place from 8th to 18th December, 2016 in Siaya County where Turkana County was represented by Football men, Volleyball boys and girls. The County teams (Football and Volleyball Girls) qualified for the second round matches in the championships before they were eliminated.
- g) REGIONAL ATHLETICS CROSSCOUNTRY CHAMPIONSHIPS ON 27TH AND 28TH JANUARY 2017
The event took place at Elgeyo Marakwet at Kondabilet Secondary school Sports ground. Five Counties participated namely;Elgeyo Marakwet,Turkana, West Pokot, Transzoia and Samburu. The county supported twenty four (24) athletes.
(h) NATIONAL DEAF ATHLETICS CHAMPIONSHIPS IN ELDORET
The above event took place from 21st to 24th May, 2017 at kipchoge keino stadium in Eldoret. Turkana County was represented by a team of 12 athletes and 3 officials. The following athletics events were done:100m,200m,400m,800m,1500m,10,000m among others. Our best performance came from Peter Toroitich who took position 2 in 10,000m Men and qualified to represent Kenya in world deaf athletics championships from 28/7/2017 in Turkey. Peter Toroitich ,comes from Kapenguria but trains with our athletes in LODWAR.Paul Esinyen did well in 200m men running a time of 22.19 seconds.
- ACTIVITIES DONE FOR FY 2017/2018
- Sports bill management scrutiny and preparation of sports bill. This activity was led by County legal advisor and other legal officers from county assembly. The draft was cascaded from the sports act 2013 from national government. The activity was done from 3rd to 11th July 2017.
- Support for Basketball team (The Augustine’s House) to participate for cross border peace tournament in Mbale-Uganda. The event attracted teams from Uganda and our team won all their matches. The activity took place from 23rd to 26th November 2017.
- Supported Lobokat/Kainuk Tournament. The event took place on 1st January 2018.
- Participated in Regional (North Rift) Cross Country Athletics Championship in West Pokot County-Kishaunet show ground. the activity took place on 3rd February 2018.The county did not perform very well and got only one athlete to represent in Nationals-Pauline Akiru in senior women category-10kms.
- Support to Basketball team to participate in Friendly matches in Nairobi. The event was to be used to expose our local team (The Augustines House) to much tougher and experienced teams. They won one match and lost another match. The event took place on 10th and 11th February 2018.
- KENYA YOUTH INTER-COUNTIES SPORTS ASSOCIATION (KYISA) 4TH EDITION IN MAKUENI COUNTY.
Supported county team to participate in KYISA 4th Edition Ball games held from 14th to 23rd April 2018 at Wote, Makueni County. The county supported three teams; football Men (22), volleyball boys(10), volleyball ladies(10) and officials. The county did very well in football and managed to reach finals without losing any single match. This was the greatest achievement the County has ever got in KYISA games. They lost (4-5) goals during final game to Kwale County after ninety (90) minutes barren draw. The two volleyball teams lost their matches at the preliminary stages.
- TOBONGU LORE ROAD RACE
The Directorate organized the race on 19th April 2018 to Spice up the annual cultural event (Tobongulore). The race attracted elite athletes from Elgeyo marakwet and Uasin-gishu. The race was won by Samuel Lomoe who hails from Kokuro ward.
- ELDORET CITY MARATHON
The County supported 10 athletes to participate in the race and Samuel Lomoe managed to secure position seven (7) in the highly contested race. Our Governor H. E. Josphat Nanok was among the Guests who graced the event.
- KENPO KARATE TOURNAMENT
The Directorate supported fourteen (14) players for an Individual National championship in Nairobi on 27th May 2018. The team performed well and two players won medals. David Erupe became the second Best Coach (won Silver Medal) in the country while Simon Nakara Loseny won Silver medal in the Novice category.
- ACTIVITIES DONE FOR FY 2018/2019
(a) NONDO-THE 7TH EDITION OF THE DESERT WHEEL RACE REPORT HELD AT ISIOLO COUNTY ON 11TH TO 13TH OCTOMBER, 2018
NONDO-THE 7TH EDITION OF THE DESERT WHEEL RACE REPORT
The desert wheel Race this year was held on 11th to 13th2018 in Isiolo County.
The theme of the race is let us make a child walk.Racing for corrective surgery for 100 children from ASAL Counties. Conference was held at Sarova hotel on 12th under the theme Devolution and the big four agenda; Post Global Disability Summit.
The desert wheel race is flagship brand of Nondo and it is currently the biggest disability sporting derby in Kenya.
Activities that took place during the event
- Arrival of Counties 9th October, 2018
- Exhibition where counties participated to show case their cultures and finally the fashion show to crown Ms The desert wheel race 2018 on 12th oct,2018
- 13th October,2018 Fag off The desert wheel race at petrol station in Isiolo Town)
Turkana County performed well at Nondo desert wheel race in Isiolo County. 14 counties attended the event where each county presented 5 racers to make total of 70 racers where Turkana County emerged second in overall ranking. Position one went to Narok County.
William Ekai position 2, Timothy Ekeno 4, Simon Lochor 6,SamuelTimoro 17,James Lokapelo 19.
Position one got ksh 100,000, Position 2 75,000 and Position 3 ksh 50,000.
The event was graced by devolution CS Hon Eugene Wamalwa and HE GovernorJosephatNanok COG.
Others governors from ASAL counties including HE DR MUHAMMED ABDI KUTI ISIOLO.CEC SPORTS, ANDSOCIAL PROTECTION HON PATRICK LOSIKE LOKAIMOE also encouraged and supported our team and attended the annual event in isiolo.
NONDO 7TH EDITION 2017
Number of Counties in the race – 14
Total Number of Racers – 70
Presentation of awards, Certificates to the best three racers
- Position one Ksh 100,000Narok County
- Position two Ksh 75,000 Turkana County
- Position three Ksh 50,000.Narok County
Turkana County managed to secure position Two,
- William Ekai – Position 2
- Timothy Ekeno – Position 4
- Simon Lochor – Position 6
- Samuel Timoro – Position 17
- James Lokapelo 19.
- Trophy and Certificates
(b) UNIVERSAL BOXING ORGANIZATION (UBO)
This year 10 Nov 2018 international Boxing match was held at Cradle Tented Camp between Rukia Nasirite and Asha Ababubakar Ngerede. The sporting helped to create a platform to host most known and professional boxers from Tanzania and western parts of the Country.
This sporting actvitiy is one of its kind in the history of the Turkana county. Its tailored to capture and nature the special talents in the talent development. The achieve guest was H.E Governor Nanok accompanied by His Deputy and the county MPs. H.E suggested to promote boxing and equip the boxers for the ring he added that boxing equipment should also be procured to help promote thi talent .The president of UBO Mr Emmanuel Mulundwa from Tanzania and secretary general of Kenya Professional Boxing federation (KPBF) Mr Julius Othiambo with a number of Judges , Boxers were present to grace the event approximately 2000 people from Turkana and other parts of the country attended the event
The activity presented the various fight from different levels as mentioned;
- Kick Boxing Men
- Heavy Light weight men
- Light weight men
- Light weight women ( Rukia Vs Asha).
The champion for the prepared desert fights Rukia Battled Asha for the event and emerged the Winner for the UBO Belt champion for women.
- Winner Rukia Nasirite 100,000 & UBO belt.
- Asha Abubakar Kshs 60,000
C). PARTNERSHIP WITH KENYA ACADEMY OF SPORTS (KAS) ON TRAINING OF COACHES AND SCOUTING.
Sports Kenya through Kenya Academy of Sports (KAS) in partnership with Turkana County organized a training of 23 coaches for ten days from 25th November to 6th December 2018.
Seven players were selected during coca-cola tournament for Kenya under Nineteen football trials at St. George Nairobi.
D). PARTNERSHIP WITH COCA-COLA (ALMASI BEVERAGES)
The county Government organized coca-cola football tournament following a meeting with H.E JOSPHAT NANOK and CEO coca-cola Mrs Macharia at COG offices Nairobi in August 2018. The support was at the tune of 2.1Million and all the Seven (7) Sub- counties participated where Loima won the finals against Central Sub-county.
- E) . KENYA YOUTH INTER-COUNTIES (KYISA) 5TH EDITION AT NANDI COUNTY, KAPSABET FROM 15TH TO 22ND DECEMBER 2018.
The County supported four teams; Football men, Volleyball Men and Women and Basketball Men. The county teams did well though did not go through second round of the tournament due to stiff competition