Director Mineral Resources
Deputy Director Mineral Resources
The Directorate of mineral resources in the ministry of water, environment and mineral resources is mandated to be the interface of the Turkana County and various stakeholders in the extractive sector. The directorate was established after the executive letter issued by H.E. the Governor. The directorate is mandated to ensure progressive exploration of mineral resources found in the county that will result in improved livelihoods of the people in Turkana County.
The Directorate is in the process of developing the county extractive sector strategy, mapping the County mineral resources, carry out community sensitization on extractives, stakeholder engagement platforms and develop staff competence in the extractive sector through partnerships with various partners.
The Directorate of mineral resources in the ministry of water, environment and mineral resources is mandated to be the interface of the Turkana County and various stakeholders in the extractive sector. Its role is to ensure the exploration and exploitation of the various mineral resources in Turkana County is carried out in an environmental friendly manner and results in improved livelihoods of the local community where the resource is found. The directorate works towards ensuring that the engagement between the investor and the community is inclusive, upholds the culture of the people and results in a business friendly environment for the investor.
- Training of county executive on local content in the Oil and Gas sector by specialist from the Natural Resource Governance Institute
- Training of local business community on local content in the Oil and Gas sector by specialist from the Natural Resource Governance Institute
- Partnered with Association of Women in Extractives Kenya (AWEIK) to train women on business opportunities in the oil and Gas sector.
- In partnership with AHADI –USAID to develop the zero draft of the Turkana County extractive sector policy and bill
- Currently procuring gold detectors for artisanal gold miners in Namorputh, Nakalale and Lapur wards
- Hold sessions with the various artisanal miners found in Turkana County with the aim of transforming their activities into a more sustainable economic activity
- Mapping of natural resources in Turkana County
- Held the Turkana County Oil and Gas conference in 2016
- Held the Turkana County Oil and Gas conference in 2015