- DEPARTMENTAL ACHIEVEMENTS
- STRATEGIC OBJECTIVES
- A Profiling of Tourism attraction sites, accommodation facilities, tour operators and other auxiliary services County this led to Profiling of new 50 tourism Products and a total of 108 hotels & Lodges with a bed capacity of 1723 with 800 tents. Six Airlines – Skyward Express, Safari link, Fly 540, Fly Sax, Tristar Airline and Silverstone Air. This has increased number of flights to Lodwar in Daily basis. 10 Travel and tours companies – Tarach tours and Travel, Turkana Tours, Ibex ventures, Repark Boroke Travel and Tours agency and Sasseni Tours and Travel.
- Mapping of Tourism products in Loima Forest.
- Formation of Turkana Hoteliers Association with 41 members, this has led to improved services as the Association is able to attain a bargaining edge as a group
- The Department has successfully conducted the annual Tourism & Cultural Festival (Tobong’u Lore) for four years consecutively.
- The department has also established international Turkana Filming and Photographic Project (Turkwood) through which 3 editions of documentaries dubbed #TembeaTurkana #WelcomeBack Home #LakeExcursion have been produced with over 1500 Copies shared nationally and internationally. The same documentaries have been shared online – YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook
- Designing and Production of Turkana County Tourist Map and Brochures.
- The department has developed water sports by investing in one water sports engine boats to be used by our visitors to access the iconic Central Island National Park and also for use in the Lake for visitors
- Annual Beach cleaning and sensitization exercise in Promoting beautification of Lake Turkana Beaches
- Undertook multimedia marketing and promotion campaigns for Turkana County tourism products internationally (China Sept 2014, World Travel Market in London November 2014, & International Tourism Bourse/Expo in Berlin Germany March 2014, 2017 and nationally at Devolution Conference in March 2016 – Meru County and 2017 – Vihiga County, Magical Kenya Expo in October 2015, Nairobi in October 2016, KIICO at KICC in November 2015, ATA in November, 2015, NOREB in November 2015, UNCTAD at KICC in November 2016, Magical Kenya Tourism Expo October 2018 and SKAL World International Congress at Pride Inn Paradise Hotel Mombasa October 2018.
- In 2015, conducted the first ever The FAM Trip for Tour Operators from German, Dutch, Belgium and Luxembourg had a FAM Trip to the County so as to sample the products in the county. As a follow up, another FAM Trip consisting of Tour Operators both local and international, media personalities, bloggers and KTB was done in 2017 with a media campaign dubbed #ExploreTurkana to promote and market the County as a destination of choice and Host Skynomad paragliding tours official from Bulgaria for a piloting Turkana as the new destination for paragliding activities.
- More than 25 women trained and 84 products produced Through the Ushanga Initiative Program.
- Online presence for Department of Tourism –The Department has further increased its online presence by launching the official Tourism website in 2014 (visitturkanaland.com) its Facebook Page ‘Turkana Land’ Twitter handle @Turkanaland and Instagram IG @turkanaland. This has led to increased logging/ viewership in the website by the public. Website www.visitturkanaland.com up and running, together with a Facebook page [Turkana Land] with over 3000 likes and a twitter handle [@turkanaland] with over 3000 followers. This is a one stop shop for visitors and locals to access our tourism products and also get access to the accommodation facilities in the County.
- The Department has organized various exposure workshops for its staff and stakeholders including
- Tourism Product development forum-North Rift cluster in Eldoret,
- Ecotourism and sustainable Tourism Forum 2015
- Tourist Protection Unit Forum in Nairobi in 2015
- Tourism regulatory Authority sensitization workshop in Turkana 2018
- Tourism Fund sensitization in Turkana 2017
- Tourism professional Association Workshop held in Eldoret 2018
- National Tourism management Workshop in Nairobi 2018
- Blue Economy workshop/ Conference in Nairobi 2018
To be the most preferred global tourist destination as the origin home of mankind
To promote, coordinate and facilitate tourism stakeholder engagement and development, support the identification, protection and preservation of all tourist and cultural sites and strategically deploy a sustainable global marketing and promotion campaign.
- Overall planning, directing, overseeing, coordination, evaluation and implementation of programmes and projects
- Initiate, formulate, overview and implement department policies
- Follow-up on the implementation of bilateral and multilateral tourism agreements and protocols
- Undertake market surveys, tourism research and profiling of all tourist attractions in the County
- Take a lead role in marketing and promotion of Turkana’s tourism products on domestic and international markets
- Maintain linkages with tourism stakeholders
- Provide technical advice on matters pertaining to tourism
- Coordinate classification of hotels, restaurants and other tourism establishments