Dr John Teria Ngasike has been sworn as the new chairperson for the County Public Service Board (CPSB) and is to head this docket for the next six years.

Dr Ngasike was sworn in by Lodwar Court Senior Magistrate, Christine Wekesa. The post became vacant two years ago after the demise of Dr Lotulya. Mrs Patricia Ekadeli has been acting in this position and handling the board since then before she handed over to the new chairperson at a colourful ceremony held at the county headquarters today.

Speaking during the swearing in ceremony, Turkana County Governor Josphat Nanok congratulated Dr Ngasike for being appointed the chair of the board. The governor expressed optimism that the new chair would help the county government to have a professional civil service that is disciplined and capable of working within and out of the county.

Governor Nanok reiterated his commitment to make sure that 30% of revenue collection bills salaries for county civil servants while the remaining 70% is channeled to development projects.

Governor Nanok nonetheless acknowledge the county is facing challenges that are posed by high number of unemployment. He explained that job seekers cannot all be accommodated by the Public Service Board, but assured the public that his government is working with other development partners and private sectors to open up new employment opportunities.

Dr Ngasike has had an illustrious academic career that began in Lokori Primary School before joining Lodwar High School for his “O” level. In 1992, Dr Ngasike joined Kenya Science to pursue teaching as a profession and in 1998 joined Kenyatta University to study a Bachelor of Education in Early childhood a course he later mastered in the same institution in 2003.

He advanced his academic profile in USA by joining Arizona University where he acquired his doctorate degree. Dr Ngasike became a graduate assistant at Kenyatta University in 2005 before he became a tutorial fellow in the same institution five years later (2010).

In his remarks after being sworn in, Dr Ngasike promised to champion for meritocracy in the recruitment process and added that the public service board will have an “open door policy” where members of the public would be free to visit the offices to question anything they felt was unfair.

The new chairperson said he is committed to pursue Article 10 of the Constitution of Kenya and also abide to the public service virtue to help uphold the honor and dignity of Turkana County Public Service Board.

Also present at the meeting were Turkana Central MP Nakara Lodepe; County Secretary Peter Eripete and his Deputy Chris Aletia; CEC Health Jane Ajele; CEC Energy and Environment Rhoda Loyor; CEC Public Service, Decentralized Administration & Disaster Management Charles Lokiyoto; ODM Senator hopeful Malik Ekal; and host MCA from the Turkana County Legislative Assembly and other county government officials.